"There is no intensity of love or feeling that does not involve the risk of crippling hurt. It is a duty to take this risk, to love and feel without defense or reserve." - William Burroughs.
Enjoy this video from William Burroughs titled: ‘A Thanksgiving Prayer’ which is from his album ‘Dead City Radio’ featuring tracks from artists such as Sonic Youth, John Cale and Allen Ginsberg.
this list can be found inside the liner notes.
1. Michael Azerrad. [journalist, author of “Come As You Are: The Story of Nirvana.”]
2. Earnie Bailey. [Nirvana guitar tech.]
3. Nils Bernstein [Sub Pop records.]
4. Ian Beveridge. [Nirvana monitor engineer.]
5. William Burroughs. [influential artist.]
6. Rosemary Carroll. [Nirvana’s attorney.]
7. Chad Channing. [Nirvana drummer.]
8. Frances Bean Cobain. [daughter of Kurt & Courtney.]
9. Michael DeWitt. [nanny, also is on the cover of CD for “In Utero.”]
10. Frances Farmer. [actress.]
11. Andy Kaufman. [entertainer.]
12. Our Favorite Inside Sources Across The Globe.
13. Sonic Youth. [New York rockers.]
14. Quentin Tarantino. [Film director. The liner notes from the soundtrack to ‘Pulp Fiction’ feature a special thanks given to Nirvana in return, read as “Nirvana (R.I.P Kurt)”]
15. Carter Launt. [chef.]
In the wee small hours of the morning, Cobain is rifling through his record collection. Novoselic left hours ago. Hundreds of records are stacked against the wrought-iron rail that looks over the living room. The record player is perched on an old black trunk. The painting from the cover of “Incesticide” leans against one wall, a giant telescope in front of it.
"I sat in this orgone machine, and there were black widows in there, he [William Burroughs] still has one and I was afraid because I have arachnophobia. He had to kill all of the spiders for me." - Kurt Cobain, 1993.
Puss/Oh, The Guilt - (Nirvana/The Jesus Lizard).
Here She Comes Now/Venus In Furs - (Nirvana/The Melvins).
Candy/Molly’s Lips - (Nirvana/The Fluid).
The “Priest” They Called Him - (Kurt Cobain/William Burroughs).
"I’ve been relieved of so much pressure in the last year and a half, I’m still kind of mesmerized by it. Pulling this record off [In Utero]. My family. My child. Meeting William Burroughs and doing a record with him. Just little things that no one would recognize or care about, and it has a lot to do with this band. If it wasn’t for this band, those things never would have happened. I’m really thankful, and every month I come to more optimistic conclusions." - Kurt Cobain.
William Burroughs: A Man Within.
Today in 1993, Nirvana had one of their longest interviews in Saint Paul, MN. The band talked with MTV’s Kurt Loder about Michael Jackson, William Burroughs, Backstage dinners with family, the JFK assassination/conspiracy theories, Shonen Knife, Steve Albini’s recording of In Utero, the band being married, Kurt’s stomp boxes/guitars, being on tour, & more.
(image from October, 1993)
Kurt Cobain was gifted with the phone number & an autographed first edition of William Burrough’s "Naked Lunch". He went into Laundry Room Studios & recorded a 26-minute jam which was part of his collaboration with Burroughs titled as "The Priest They Called Him".